Dal Bati Churma - Rajasthani Cuisine
|For the bati|
|Wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rava||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cumin powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Carom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fennel powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Ghee||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the churma|
|Ghee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted (for mixing the dough)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Powdered nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (almond, pistachio and cashew powder)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), powdered|
|Ghee||2 Tablespoon, melted (for mixing the churma)|
|For the dal|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chillies||3 Medium|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Green chilli paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||1 Medium|
|Tomatoes||1 Large, chopped|
|Mixed dal||2 Cup (32 tbs), soaked in water (moong dal, channa, tur, massor, urad, mutter)|
|Garam masala||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, slivered|
|Pistachio||1⁄2 Teaspoon, slivered|
|Cashew||1⁄2 Teaspoon, slivered|
1. For the bati: In a large mixing bowl, add and combine together wheat flour, rava, cumin powder, carom powder, fennel powder and salt to taste. Once mixed well, stir in the ghee, yogurt and mix well into a grainy texture. Slowly pour water and knead the grainy texture well into a firm dough. Cover the dough and set it aside for about 30 minutes.
2. For the churma: In another large mixing bowl, add and combine together wheat flour, rava, and ghee into a grainy texture. Slowly pour in the milk and knead the grainy texture well to make a stiff dough. Cover the dough and set it aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F for the bati and churma.
4. In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, onion, green chilli paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt, curry leaves, tomato, mixed dal with the water and garam masala. Mix until well incorporated and cover the cooker with the lid. Cook the dal for about 4 whistles. Once done, set it aside and let the pressure inside the cooker come down. Once the pressure is down, open the lid add lemon juice and mix well.
5. Take the dough for the bati and pinch lemon sized balls. Make the texture of the balls smooth and then flatten it. Once done, make a thumbprint in the center and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat this step until all the balls are made and line them about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
6. Take the dough for the churma and break into half. On a wooden board, place the dough one at a time and using a rolling pin, roll out each dough into a flat roti. Once done, set these rotis alongside the bati's.
7. Bake this tray in the preheated oven at 350 degrees F, for 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown. In between the baking time, turn the rotis and bati's over once in order for even baking of the two.
8. Once done, remove the rotis and set them aside on a plate to cool them down. Remove the baked bati's onto a serving plate and brush them evenly with melted butter.
9. Once the rotis have cooled down, break them into small pieces and put them in a food processor. Blend this into a grainy texture for making the churma. Once done, transfer it into a mixing bowl and add the cashew, pistachio, almond, cardamom powder and sugar. Mix well. Stir in the ghee and mix until well incorporated.
10. On a large serving plate or tray, place the bati plate and two bowls. In one bowl, add the churma mixture garnished with some almond, cashew and pistachio. In the other bowl, add the cooked dal garnished with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Calories 756 Calories from Fat 285
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.3%
Saturated Fat 13.4 g66.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.5 mg16.5%
Sodium 582.2 mg24.3%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31%
Dietary Fiber 16.7 g66.8%
Sugars 15.9 g
Protein 29 g57.9%
Vitamin A 58.2% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 28.9% Iron 22.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet