Mrs. Deboo Nu Methianoo Achaar
|Raw mango||5 Kilogram|
|Kashmiri chili powder||750 Gram|
|Fenugreek seeds||500 Gram|
|Turmeric powder||200 Gram|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Sesame oil||4 Kilogram|
1. Wash the mangoes and allow to dry. Cut into half, discard the seeds and cut into small pieces of even size.
2. Grind the fenugreek coarsely in a mixie or stone pata. Clean the salt of any impurities.
3. Mix the chilli, turmeric, fenugreek, asafoetida and salt in one cup til oil.
4. Spread a layer of mango pieces on the bottom of a large clean pickling jar. Sprinkle over with the salted masala. Continue layering the pickle with mango pieces and the salted masala till everything has been used up. Shake the jar, seal tightly and keep in a cool dark place for three days.
5. On the third day boil four kilos of til oil and allow to cool. Shake the pickle jar and pour in the cooled oil till it has totally covered the mango pieces and floats one inch above the mango pieces. Seal tightly and cover the mouth with a piece of cloth. Examine the pickle for at least thirty days from time to time to see that the mangoes are submerged in the oil. If necessary boil more oil. Cool and add it to the pickle.(Serves 100-150)