Skiz Fernando shows you how to make this spicy, delicious Chettinad dish on the latest installment of his popular web cooking series, Pan Asian
Canola oil/Extra virgin olive oil
3 Gram (4-6) (Optional)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), peeled, quartered
1 , cut lengthwise (or to taste)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Black pepper and cumin powder mixture
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Tablespoon, minced
1⁄2 Teaspoon (dissolved in water)
1 Pound, cut into 1-inch thick strips
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely
1. Place a large saucepan on medium flame, and heat oil in it.
2. Drop curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and urad dal in it. Fry for about 30 seconds or until seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
3. Throw onion, garlic, chilli pepper, and tomato in it. Stir and cook for a minute.
4. Add turmeric, and cook for an additional minute.
5. Throw cayenne powder, curry powder, salt, black pepper, and cumin powder in it. Mix to combine.
6. Put tomato sauce, ginger root, and tamarind paste. Mix well.
7. Pour about 1-2 cups of warm water. Stir, and let it simmer, uncovered for a couple of minutes over medium low heat.
8. When the mixture starts to boil, add fish. Cover fish with the sauce.
9. Throw coriander leaves, and mix well. Cover, and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until fish is flaky and opaque. Stir gently. Remove pan from heat, cover and let it rest.