1. Soak 1 cup of urad dal in enough water for a minimum of 4 hours, set this aside.
2. In a pan, dry roast 1 tablespoon of urad dal and 1 teaspoon of rice, let cool and grind into a powder.
3. Grind the soaked urad along with peppercorns, salt and water.
4. Add in the powder and beat well with a wire whisk until fluffy.
5. Line up a plate with tissue paper.
6. Dip fingers into water and take a portion of the batter, roll it into a ball, dip thumb into water again and make a dent in the center.
7. Slide the vadai gently into the pan with preheated oil.
8. Flip after a few seconds and remove when golden brown, repeat for the rest of batter.
9. Bring vadai to the plate and wipe off surface oil.
10. Serve Medhu Vadai with sambhar and coconut chutni.