|Kanava/squid||1 Kilogram, cleaned and cut into rings|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon, freshly grounded|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated (FOR SPICE MIX)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic clove||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chilies||4 Small|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut oil||1 Tablespoon (FOR SEASONING)|
|Shallots||3 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried red chilies||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a saucepan, add cleaned squid, turmeric powder, ground black pepper, salt and pressure cook until squid is done. Don’t add water, as squid relieves water during cooking. Check for the doneness of the squid and drain the water.
2. In a mixer, coarsely grind all the ingredients of spice mix and keep it aside.
3. In a skillet, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped onion, curry leaves, red chilies and stir for some time.
4. Add salt, spice mix and sauté this mixture until raw smell disappears.
5. Lower the heat; add squid and again sauté the mixture for 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve this thoran with hot rice and some curry.