Palakkadan Style Sambar
|Toor dal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (washed and soaked for at least 30 min)|
|Onion||1 Medium (roughly chopped)|
|Potato||2 Medium (cut in 1-2 inch cubes)|
|Tomato||1 Medium (chopped)|
|Tamarind||To Taste (in the size of a small lemon)|
|Sambar powder||3 Tablespoon (you may buy this from any grocery store; the powder is also available in stores abroad and some even make it at home)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili||2 Large, whole|
|Curry leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro leaf||3 Teaspoon|
1. To save cooking time, soak dal in water for about ½ an hour and then pressure cook it for about 3 whistles, along with chopped onions, potatoes and turmeric powder. Once done, let it cool naturally.
2. Heat a pan and put about 2-3 tbsp. of Sambar Powder and dry roast it. Switch off and pour half a glass of water and then make a paste of it. Keep aside.
3. Soak tamarind in lukewarm water
4. Open the pressure cooker and slightly mash the dal. See to it that the potato pieces are not entirely mashed and are left as they are.
5. Heat the cooker again with the dal in low flame and pour the Tamarind mix. Let it boil for a few minutes.
6. Put the chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are mashed and cooked
7. Put the Sambar Powder paste, mix well and allow it to boil for another few minutes until the Sambar attains desired thickness.
8. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Also, put a pinch of fenugreek seeds, chili powder, whole red chilies and curry leaf. Fry it for a few seconds and pour this evenly on to the Sambar.
9. Drain the Sambar to a serving bowl and garnish with a few springs of cilantro.
10. Serve hot with plain rice, idly, dosa or as my huby does with Parathas ;)!
You may buy this from any grocery store; the powder is also available in stores abroad and some even make it at home
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.8%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 600.9 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 16 g31.7%
Vitamin A 36.6% Vitamin C 195.4%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 24.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet