1 Cup (16 tbs), divide (1/2 cup for the tamarind paste + 4 cup water for the rasam)
Curry leaves powder
1. In a small bowl add tamarind paste, pour water in it and microwave it for 45 seconds.
2. In a hot pan, heat oil, add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chili, black pepper and crushed garlic, curry leaves, turmeric powder and crushed tomatoes. Stir well until light brown.
3. Add water, sambar powder, salt and mix it well for a few minutes.
4. Add hing and cook it for 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the melted tamarind paste, water and let it boil nicely on medium high heat until half the water has evaporated.
6. Switch off gas and let it cool for 5 minutes.
7. Serve the rasam with a bowl of white rice or some roti, garnished with chopped cilantro.