Ven Pongal/ Spicy Rice Pongal
|Long grain brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked (basmati rice)|
|Moong dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided (1 pinch for boiling rice, 1/2 teaspoon for frying the masala)|
|Regular salt||3 Teaspoon, divided (1 1/2 teaspoon for boiling rice, 1 1/2 teaspoon for frying the masala)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Green bell pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cashews||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ginger||1 Small, shredded|
|Green chilies||2 Small, chopped|
|Sambar powder||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Melted margarine||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Black lentil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||6 Gram|
|Cumin powder||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs), divided (4 cups for boiling rice, 1 cup for final cooking stage of cooking the rice)|
1. In a bowl add 4: 1 ratio of rice and moong dal, wash, drain and add twice the amount of water (4 cups) and salt.
2. Place this bowl in the microwave oven for 35 minutes at 80% power.
3. In a pan, heat oil, butter, add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pepper, green chilies, ginger, cashews, margarine, curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder, cumin powder, sambar powder and stir fry on medium high heat for 4 minutes.
4. Add 2 tablespoon of water and mix nicely for a few minutes until the cashews have roasted.
5. Remove the bowl of rice from the microwave after 20 minutes, add the above cashew masala onto the rice, mix well and adjust for any spices. Add salt to taste.
6. Let the rice cook covered, for another 12 -15 minutes at 80% power in the microwave.
7. Remove and set it aside for 10 minutes to get a thick texture.
8. Serve the ven pongal on a plate alongside coconut chutney, sambar or potato palya.
Calories 364 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.1%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g17.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg2.7%
Sodium 1503.5 mg62.6%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 10 g20.8%
Vitamin A 6.6% Vitamin C 14.1%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 28.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet