1. Soak chana dal for about an hour and make a smooth paste out of it.
2. In a pot heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and remove off heat.
3. Once the oil is cooled down add asafoetida, turmeric powder and chana dal paste and keep stirring on medium heat.
4. Add salt, ginger paste, green chili paste and garlic paste if desired and stir well on low heat for about 10 minutes.
5. Add little oil if the mixture is sticking to the bottom.
6. Cover and let it cook on low heat for about 20 minutes with frequent stirring.
7. Add sugar, let it cook for 5 minutes and add lemon juice.
8. Sprinkle some sev and chopped cilantro and serve.