1. In a saucepan heat together water, papad khara and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
2. If using baking powder do not heat the water.
3. In a bowl add the besan, carom seeds, chili powder and salt to taste mix well
4. Add 6 tablespoons oil and mix well.
5. Add the prepared water into the besan mixture slowly and mix well to get a gooey dough.
6. Add more 3-4 tablespoons oil and mix well after each addition.
7. In a deep fry pan, heat oil.
8. Pull out a morsel of the dough and add into the gathia maker.
9. Fit the desired shape of the mold to the maker outlet and squeeze the dough in a circular motion in the hot oil.
10. Fry till crispy and lightly golden.
11. Remove onto a dish lined with absorbent paper.