Stuffed Baby Eggplant Curry
|Eggplant||6 Medium (with good and green intact stalks)|
|Coconut||3 Tablespoon, shredded (For the stuffing) (Optional)|
|Coconut milk||1 Tablespoon (For the stuffing)|
|Coriander and cumin powder||1 Tablespoon (For the stuffing)|
|Peanuts||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon, roasted (For the stuffing)|
|Sesame seeds||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, roasted (For the stuffing)|
|Tamarind paste||1 Tablespoon (For the stuffing)|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon, finely minced (For the stuffing)|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon, finely minced (For the stuffing)|
|Jaggery||1⁄4 Tablespoon, grated (For the stuffing)|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped (For the stuffing)|
|Garam masala||1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Red chili powder||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Salt||2 Tablespoon (to taste)|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (For poppu/tadka/seasoning)|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For poppu/tadka/seasoning)|
|Curry leaves||6 Small (For poppu/tadka/seasoning)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon (For poppu/tadka/seasoning)|
1. In each eggplant make a "+" slit opening up to the crown area and cut a long purple eggplant into long single pieces.
2. Place the cut eggplants in water until ready to cook.
3. Blend all the stuffing ingredients into smooth paste adding 1 tablespoon water if needed.
4. Fill the stuffing into the slit eggplants.
5. In the cooking pot of a pressure cooker, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds and add turmeric powder and curry leaves.
6. Place the stuffed eggplants, extra stuffing to get gravy and purple eggplant pieces in the oil and cook on medium high flame for 2 minutes.
7. Keep checking in between and stir fry to ensure the eggplants don't burn or stick to the pan.
8. Add water, cover with lid and let them cook for 15 minutes up to 4 whistles.
9. Remove lid and cook for another few minutes if it appears still watery.
10. Let the eggplants cook till you achieve a thick gravy consistency and turn off heat.
11. Garnish with grated fresh coconut and chopped coriander and serve with rice or rotis.