A savory pudding most famous in the southern part of India as a healthy nutritious and filling breakfast, in fact it's a quick fix for any time of the day. This recipe uses cracked wheat also know as daliya(gothumai rawai in tamil) but you can substitute with semolina(suji) or rice rawa.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), dried
4 , slit lengthwise (to taste)
3⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)
1. In a non- stick pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil, mustard seeds and let it splutter.
2. Add chana dal and sauté until it turns golden brown.
3. Add asafoetida, dried curry leaves and the green chilies.
4. Next add in the onions and season with salt .Cook until the they turn translucent.
5. Finally add the cracked wheat, season with some more salt if needed.
6. Mix everything well and cook for another two minutes and you will notice a nice aroma of roasted wheat in the air.
7. Cool and store in an airtight container.
8. When ready to make the upma, take twice the amount of water for every measure of the dry mix.
9. Bring the water to a rolling boil and add in the mix little by little.
10. Keep stirring until well combined.
11. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
12. Turn off the heat. Your healthy, quick and low fat upma is ready to serve.