Yellow lentil and Spinach Curry
|Split green gram||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked in 2 cups water for 20 minutes (mung dal)|
|Spinach||3 Cup (48 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Tomato||1 Cup (16 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Clarified butter||1 Tablespoon (ghee)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (as per taste)|
|Cream of coconut||3 Tablespoon|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (as per taste)|
1. In a pressure cooker pot heat together oil and ghee and cook for a while adding cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, onion and tomato.
2. Then stir in ginger paste, garlic paste , green chili paste and salt to taste.
3. Let the tomatoes turn mushy and at that point stir in green lentil along with 2 cups of water in which it was soaked.
4. Close the pressure cooker with lid and let it cook until 4 whistles.
5. Let it cool, then open, add water to bring in liquid consistency and add spinach in batches to let it cook until the spinach is wilted.
6. Spread the curry on a seriving dish, garnish with tomato slices and spinach leaves and serve the curry with rice, rotis, parathas or naan.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.7%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.1 mg3.4%
Sodium 1053.2 mg43.9%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.8%
Sugars 12.4 g
Protein 15 g29.6%
Vitamin A 59.6% Vitamin C 31%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 38.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet