Kosambri Mixed with Shallot
|Yellow moong lentils||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs), soaked|
|Carrots||3 Large, shredded|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 Medium, chop|
|Plum tomato||1 Small, chop|
|Shallots||1 Medium, chop|
|Fresh coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Medium|
|Cilantro||3 Tablespoon, chop|
|Green chilies||2 Small, chop (Optional)|
|For the vaggarne|
|Mustard seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh curry leaves||4 Small|
|Dried red chili||1 Small, halved|
1. Wash dals until the water is clear and soak overnight.
2. Peel and shred the carrots, chop the cucumber, tomatoes, shallots, green chilies and cilantro.
3. Drain the lentils and set aside.
4. In a bowl combine carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, coconut and lentils.
5. In a small pan pour oil and fry the mustard seed and hing.
6. When the mustard seed starts to spurt, add fresh or dry curry leaves and dried red chili. Stir for few seconds until coated with oil.
7. Pour it on the salad and add lemon and cilantro, salt to taste and mix well.
8. Adjust seasoning as needed, add some chopped green chili if you like.
9. Serve as a side dish. You can serve it chilled or at room temperature.
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.2%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 146.8 mg6.1%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.5%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 4 g7.3%
Vitamin A 200.1% Vitamin C 30.1%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 8.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet