Toby Smithson prepares a unique, diabetes-friendly side dish recipe from fellow Registered Dietitian Gita Patel's new book "Blending Science with Spices"
Black mustard seeds
1 1⁄2 Teaspoon
6 Cup (96 tbs), sliced into 3/4 inch
2 Tablespoon, grated
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped
Fresh lemon juice/Fresh lime juice
1. Heat a large skillet and lightly toast cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds.
2. Before the seeds pop, add the canola oil.
3. Add in the pinch of hing or asafoetida and the okra. Reduce heat to medium and stir around the okra in the skillet.
4. Add in the turmeric, sesame seeds and the coconut; stir again to mix.
5. Cover the skillet and cook for 10 minutes; keep peeping in and stir often.
6. Add salt and cayenne pepper, stir and cook uncovered until okra is nice and tender.
7. Plate stir fried okra and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Squeeze lemon and serve immediately with chapatti.