Crispy Onion Pakoras
|Besan/Gram flour||8 Tablespoon (about 1/2 cup)|
|Rice flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ajwain/Carom seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||4 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Vegetable oil/Canola oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (for deep frying)|
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the besan (gram flour) and rice flour.
2. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, baking soda, carom seeds and mix well.
3. Gradually add water make a thick consistency batter.
4. Add the finely chopped coriander leaves and thinly sliced onion and mix well. Set the bowl aside for 15 minutes or so.
5. Heat oil for deep frying in a wok/skillet/kadhai. The temperature should be about 375 degree F. You can check by dropping a little of the batter into the oil. It should surface in 2 seconds.
6. With the help of a tablespoon, drop heaped spoonfuls of the pakora batter into the hot oil. You will have to make them in batches.
7. Deep fry the pakoras until they are deep golden brown and crispy on both sides.
8. Using a slotted spoon, remove and drain on absorbent paper to soak excess oil.
9. Fry more pakoras until all the batter is used up.
10. Serve the onion pakoras hot and crispy with a chutney or ketchup.
Calories 211 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.6%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 373.4 mg15.6%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 6 g11%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 9.3%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet