1) Place the chana dal in a colander and rinse.
2) Remove any stones, discolored beans or husks.
3) Place in a pressure cooker and pour in enough water to cover by 1/2 -3/4 inches.
4) Cover, lock the lid, place on the stove top and begin heating the pot.
5) When it reaches pressure, lower the temperature to medium-low and begin timing.
6) Cook for 8-15 minutes. This will depend on your altitude, type of water you have, and how soft you want the chana dal to be. See How To Use a Pressure Cooker for more information.
7) When its finished cooking, release the pressure and take the pot to the sink.
8) Run cool water on the lid until the pressure is completely released.
9) Remove the lid. Add the spices, tamari, and using a garlic press, squeeze the garlic into the pot.
10) Bring to a boil, lower the temperature and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until the garlic is aromatic.
11. Serve with brown rice or naan and steamed vegetables.