Simple Chana Dal
|Chana dal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), rinsed and debris removed|
|Garam masala powder/Curry powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Chana dal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), rinsed, debris removed|
|Water||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs) (To Cook Chana Dal)|
|Vegetable stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), pressed|
|Garam masala/Curry masala||3 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|Wheat free tamari soy sauce||To Taste|
1) Place the chana dal in a colander and rinse.
2) Remove any stones, discolored beans or husks.
3) Place in a pressure cooker and pour in enough water to cover by 1/2 -3/4 inches.
4) Cover, lock the lid, place on the stove top and begin heating the pot.
5) When it reaches pressure, lower the temperature to medium-low and begin timing.
6) Cook for 8-15 minutes. This will depend on your altitude, type of water you have, and how soft you want the chana dal to be. See How To Use a Pressure Cooker for more information.
7) When its finished cooking, release the pressure and take the pot to the sink.
8) Run cool water on the lid until the pressure is completely released.
9) Remove the lid. Add the spices, tamari, and using a garlic press, squeeze the garlic into the pot.
10) Bring to a boil, lower the temperature and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until the garlic is aromatic.
11. Serve with brown rice or naan and steamed vegetables.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1865 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.3%
Saturated Fat 0.82 g4.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1921 mg80%
Total Carbohydrates 322 g107.5%
Dietary Fiber 128.7 g514.7%
Sugars 39.5 g
Protein 128 g255.3%
Vitamin A 31.9% Vitamin C 20.8%
Calcium 65% Iron 122.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet