Spicy Indian Style Quinoa
|Brown mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raw spanish peanuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raw cashew||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄4 , minced to make 1/2 cup (Red Or Yellow One)|
|Red chili powder/Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Quinoa||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed and drained|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Brown)|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peanuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Raw Spanish)|
|Cashew pieces||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Raw)|
|Crushed chili flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced (Red Or Yellow)|
|Serrano pepper||1 , minced|
|Ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cranberries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|Instant red chili powder/Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (If You Like It Very Spicy Then Add It,)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, minced|
1. For the quinoa, pour the 2 cups of water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup quinoa into a sauce pan.
2. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
3. Let it stand another 5 minutes before opening the lid.
4. For tempering, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the mustard seeds and when they begin to pop add the optional Urad dal and stir to brown the seeds.
5. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and then quickly add the peanuts and brown them for a few minutes.
6. Add cashews and roast for another minute or so. Once the nuts look nice and roasted add the chili flakes, Serrano pepper, curry leaves and onion.
7. Sweat the onion by stirring it every once in a while over medium low heat.
8. Now add the ginger and cook another minute.
9. Add the raisins and the cranberries and sauté to slightly toast them.
10. Add the salt and red chili powder and stir well.
11. Add the cooked quinoa and cilantro stir to combine.
12. Sprinkle in the lemon juice and stir.
13. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1749 Calories from Fat 662
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g120.3%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2554.1 mg106.4%
Total Carbohydrates 220 g73.3%
Dietary Fiber 31.8 g127.1%
Sugars 48.6 g
Protein 64 g128.4%
Vitamin A 33.3% Vitamin C 63.4%
Calcium 34.9% Iron 107.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet