A South Asian Pot O Gold. Try this amazing Daal recipe today!
1 Cup (16 tbs) (split orange lentils)
Garlic onion ginger paste
3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)
For the tarka
1⁄2 Small, finely chopped
1. Chop the onions, set aside.
2. Clean and pick any unwanted pebbles from the lentils.
3. Wash the lentils under running water until the water runs off clean.
4. Add the lentils to a large pot and over medium high heat pour the water.
5. Add the turmeric, chilli flakes, salt, garlic and ginger paste, fresh chillies or chili chutney.
6. Once the mixture comes to a boil add the lemon juice and tamarind pulp.
7. On low heat simmer the lentils for 25-30 minutes.
8. When it’s close to the cooking time start with the tarka.
9. In a frying pan pour oil over medium high heat and fry the onions until brown, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
10. Fry for 1 minute and then add the lentils, let it sit for 5 minutes covered.
11. Serve the hot daal with basmati steamed rice.
If you want to make a daal soup instead of a stew add 5 1/2 cups of water at this stage and then follow the recipe identically.