Mohanthal - Besan Burfi - Gram Flour Fudge
|Gram flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ghee||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Almond slices||1 Teaspoon|
|Pistachio||1 Teaspoon, sliced|
1. In a large plate, place gram flour. Make a well in the center.
2. In a pan, heat the ghee over medium heat. To the gram flour, add ghee (2 tablespoon)and warm milk. Rub the ghee into the gram flour till it begins to look like breadcrumbs. Sieve the flour to remove lumps.
3. In a medium pan heat ghee(2 tablespoon).
4. Add the flour mixture and sauté on low flame, stirring constantly, until it turns light brown.
5. Add mawa, sauté again till reddish brown. Take pan off the heat and keep aside.
6. In another saucepan, place sugar, pour water, add saffron, heat and prepare syrup of 2-3 string consistency.
7. Return the saucepan with flour mixture to a low flame. Pour the syrup over the flour and mawa mixture, add cardamom powder and nutmeg. Turn off the heat. Mix well. Keep it aside, till it thickens on its own. Stir at intervals.8. Pour into a greased thali/plate/cake pan. Sprinkle with almonds and pistachios. When cool cut into squares or diamonds.
9. Arrange on a plate and serve with other salty snacks.
How to make Homemade Mawa/ Khoya:
Bring 2 liters or 1/2 gallon milk to boil in a heavy bottomed pan.
Reduce flame to medium and simmer. Continue simmering, stirring very frequently, especially towards the end, when milk has become thick. You must not let it stick at the bottom, or it will burn. Smell of burnt milk is terrible and no good for making anything with. It is good only for the trash!
When the milk is almost solid, quite thick, turn the heat off and allow it to cool. It will solidify a little more as it cools.
If not using immediately, cut in 2-3 portions and freeze, wrapped in a cling film or in a plastic bags.