Vegan And Gluten-free South Indian Breakfast
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded coconut/More as per your liking||1 Tablespoon|
|Chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Cooked)|
|Green chili||To Taste|
1. Make a coarse mixture with the ragi flour + 1/3 tsp salt, adding little by little water at a time. If the water gets in excess then the mixture will get lumpy ,and if too little water is added then it will go dry so adjust the consistency carefully to that of a moist cornmeal.
2. Add one cup of water in a pressure pan and place on medium high
3. Spoon the batter into molds of an idli stand, filling then 3/4 full.
4. Steam cook for about 15 minutes in the pan (without the whistle)
5. Once the mixture is cooked it will give out a nice aroma and will turn into a darker shade.
To make puttu (sweet version)
6. Take out a portion of the batter and add sugar and coconut, optionally add a little ghee.
7. Steam as in steps2, 3 and 4.
To make upma (savory version)
8. Chop onions and green chili
9. Sauté in a pan with little oil adding 1/4 tsp of salt
10. Add the curry leaves
11. Add the cooked black chickpeas and sauté for about a minute
12. Finally add the cooked ragi and turn off the heat. Mix well.
13. Serve warm.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1334 Calories from Fat 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36.1%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 704.6 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 232 g77.2%
Dietary Fiber 41.6 g166.5%
Sugars 28.9 g
Protein 53 g106.8%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 33.4%
Calcium 26% Iron 105.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet