Homemade Soft and Spongy Idli
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cooked rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. Start by rinsing the dal and rice separately in cold water .
2. Add the fenugreek seeds to urad dal.
3. Soak both the dal and rice for a minimum of 4 hrs, preferably overnight.
4. First blend the soaked urad dal into a thick paste adding very little water. Remove to a large vessel.
5. Next add the soaked rice to the blender along with the cooked rice.
6. Make a thick paste of this too.
7. Add the rice paste to the dal paste and add desired amount of salt
8. Mix with clean hands until everything is well blended.
9. Keep the batter in a warm place and let stand overnight to allow fermentation.
10. Once fermented, the batter will be thick and frothy and significantly doubled in volume. If this fails to happen then the temperature is too low, leave the batter in this case in a much warmer place until properly fermented.
11. Once the batter is ready, spoon it into greased idli molds and steam cook for 12-15 minutes.
12. Serve steaming hot idlis with your favorite condiment like chutney or sambar.
Calories 551 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g2.1%
Saturated Fat 0.38 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 26.3 mg1.1%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g37.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.4 g41.4%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 19 g38%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 0.19%
Calcium 27.8% Iron 18.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet