Ada Pradhaman (Onam Special Payasam / Kheer)
|For the ada|
|Rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Soaked in water for 4 hours)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
|For the pradhaman|
|Jaggery piece||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As per your taste)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thick coconut milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cardamom||3 Medium, crushed and seeds used|
|Ghee||2 Teaspoon (For toasting the nuts and dry fruits)|
|Dry fruits||To Taste|
1. Soak rice for about 4 hrs.
To prepare the ada:
2. After 4 hours, put into a blender and blend using very little water to form a thick paste.
3. Spread the prepared paste on a clean and dry banana leaf, as shown in the video, leaing enough space on the corners.
4. Roll carefully like a scroll and tie with a string.
5. Steam cook for about 10 - 12 minutes.
6. Once done, open each banana leaf scroll and let cool. Sprinkle a little water so that it does not stick.
7. Using a sharp knife start making horizontal and vertical lines on the sheet and remove carefully. Set all the prepared ada aside.
To prepare the pradhaman:
8. In a saucepan, bring the jaggery to a boil along with water.
9. Add 1 cup ada and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Finally, add the crushed cardamom and turn off the heat. Top with your favorite nuts and dry fruits toasted in ghee.
11. Serve as a dessert after a traditional Kerala meal or as a snack.
The traditional recipe calls only for coconut milk but one can use part milk and part coconut milk or any proportion to their liking and taste .
The ada will be sticky due to starch content, dip your fingers in oil before handling the banan leaf to make it easy to work with.
Calories 416 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.4%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg2.2%
Sodium 43.7 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.56 g2.2%
Sugars 53.4 g
Protein 3 g5.2%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.13%
Calcium 3.4% Iron 4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet