Ragda Patties (Potato Patties Dipped In Peas Curry)
|For the ragda|
|White peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Soaked in water overnight)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄3 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As needed)|
|For the green chutney|
|Onion||1⁄3 Small, cut into a chunk|
|Green chili||1 Medium|
|Coriander leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Roasted cumin powder||1⁄3 Teaspoon|
|Chat masala||1⁄3 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As needed)|
|For the tamarind chutney|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (4.8 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1⁄3 Teaspoon|
|For the pattice|
|Boiled potatoes||2 Medium, peeled, mashed|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Roasted cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chat masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Corn flour||1⁄3 Cup (4.8 tbs)|
|For shallow frying the pattice|
|Onions||1 Medium, choppped (As needed)|
|Chat masala||1 Tablespoon (As needed)|
|Fine sev||2 Tablespoon (As needed)|
|Coriander leaves||5 Teaspoon, chopped (As needed)|
1. Soak white peas in water overnight.
2. In a pressure cooker, take the soaked and drained white peas with some water and turmeric powder.
3. Cover and cook on medium heat until you hear 2 - 3 whistles of pressure release.
To prepare the green chutney:
4. Take a blender, add onion, green chili, coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala (if using), salt, lemon juice and water. Blend until smooth. Set the prepared green chutney aside.
To prepare the tamarind chutney:
5. In a microwave safe bowl, mix the tamarind and jaggery together with some water. Place in the microwave oven for a minute. Set aside for 2 hours.
6. After 2 hours, mash to extract the pulp from it. Using a strainer, strain into a bowl all the pulp from the mixture.
7. Season this pulp with red chili powder, chaat masala and salt, mix well. Set the prepared tamarind chutney aside.
To prepare the potato patties:
8. In a bowl, put the mashed potatoes along with red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, chaat masala, coriander powder, salt, finely chopped coriander leaves and corn flour. Mix well and set aside.
9. Once the white peas have cooked, add salt to taste and mix. Using a potato masher, mash the boiled peas well.
10. Transfer all the ragda into another pan, sprinkle the top with some red chili powder, chaat masala and garam masala as shown in the video. Let simmer on a very low heat.
11. Take small portions from the potato mixture, flatten it in your palms and make patties.
12. Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat with some oil. Place the patties on the heated oil, fry until both sides are brown in color. Once done, set aside.
13. Take each of the fried patties into a serving plate, using a fork mash it a little.
14. Spoon some of the steaming hot ragda over the aloo patties topped with the prepared tamarind chutney and green chutney.
15. Garnish with chopped onion, sprinkled with chaat masala, fine sev and chopped coriander leaves.
16. Serve warm right away.
2. Potato masher