1. Wash and soak broken cashew nuts in warm water for 2 hours.
2. Similarly in a separate bowl, wash and soak whole cashew nuts in warm water for 2 hours.
3. Add soaked cashew and one tomato in to food processor jar and blend to make very smooth puree.
4. Heat the oil in a medium skillet or wok. When it is hot add whole garam masala, cumin seeds and finely chopped onions.
5. Fry onions until they turn light golden and soften.
6. Add chopped garlic, and sauté with onion for just about a minute.
7. Now add the ground spices and sauté for 2 minutes until they release their aroma.
8. Pour in the tomato-cashew puree and blend well. Reduce heat and simmer the curry for 7 to 8 minutes or until oil separates from the spices.
9. Add water to the gravy to adjust the consistency as desired.
10. Season the gravy with salt and sugar and stir well.
11. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
12. Drain the soaked whole cashews and add to the gravy along with the chopped mushrooms, mix well until well coated.
13. Cover again and simmer another 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
14. Serve the Cashew and Mushroom Masala Curry hot, with Garlic naan, tandoori roti or Jeera rice!
This Curry is one of the favorite served in many elite Maharashtrian celebrations and weddings. Watch the video to get the recipe of this deliciously rich, creamy and nutty curry with whole cashews and mushrooms. This is curry is delicately spiced and fragrant. It is the perfect dish to make when entertaining vegan guests and makes a great pot-luck dish.