Malvani Chicken / Sagoti
|Boneless chicken breast||1 Pound, cut into medium sized pieces|
|For the marinade|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium|
|Ginger||1 Inch, cut into pieces|
|Green chili||1 Medium|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Star anise||1⁄2 Medium|
|Cinnamon sticks||1 Inch|
|Black peppercorns||3 Medium|
|For the malvani masala|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon (Shahi jeera)|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Fresh coconut/Frozen coconut||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Dash|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed to puree the mixture)|
|Rest of the ingredients for the malvani curry|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Degi mirch powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Into a blender, add all the ingredients for the marinade and blend to get a smooth green paste.
2. Marinate the chicken pieces in the prepared green marinade. Cover and let it rest for 1 hour.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add caraway seeds and bay leaves.
4. Add the whole spices and saute for a minute until aromatic.
5. Add the onions and stir fry until light brown in color.
6. Once the onions brown, add coconut and fry until golden brown in color.
7. Add a dash of nutmeg powder and stir. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down completely.
8. Once cooled, transfer the mixture into a blender and blend adding a little water until you get a smooth paste. Set this aside.
9. Heat a frying pan with a couple of tbsp oil. Add onions and fry until golden brown.
10. Add ginger garlic paste, stir and cook for about a minute.
11. Add coriander powder, garam masala and degi mirch powder. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
12. Add the marinated chicken pieces, stir to coat each piece well with the masala.
13. Add a little water, and salt. Stir, cover and let cook over medium heat for about 15 - 20 minutes.
14. After about 15 minutes, uncover and add the ground malvani masala. Stir well, cover and cook over medium heat for another 5 - 6 minutes.
15. Serve warm with kombadi vada or malvani vada. You may also serve this dish with tandlachi bhakri.
Calories 409 Calories from Fat 182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.4%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.8 mg21.9%
Sodium 354.2 mg14.8%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g34.6%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 30 g60.7%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 48.5%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet