Goan Spiced Aubergine
|Gram flour||6 Tablespoon|
|Rice flour||3 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Cumin powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried mango powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Aubergines||2 Medium, washed and cut into 5mm slices|
|Fresh curry leaves||15 (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3.
2) In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.
3) Gradually add about 175ml water and whisk to make a thin batter.
4) Season to taste and adjust the seasoning and spices.
5) In a large non-stick frying pan, heat a thin layer of oil.
6) Dip the each aubergine slice into the batter and place in the pan.
7) Cook for about 2to3 minutes over a low heat, until golden brown on one side.
8) Turn the aubergines over and cook the other side until soft and thoroughly cooked.
9) Drain on kitchen paper and place the plate in the oven to keep warm while cooking rest of the aubergine slices.
10) In the frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the curry leaves.
11) When they splutter, drain and toss in a little salt.
12) Scatter the curry leaves over the aubergines.
13) Serve the Goan Spiced Aubergine warm with rice or chapati.