Classic Chicken Vindaloo with a Blend of Indian Spices
|White wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for the marinade)|
|Onion confit||3 Tablespoon, prepared (for the marinade)|
|Red chili||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, flaked (for the marinade)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled (for the marinade)|
|Ginger||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, roughly chopped (for the marinade)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, freshly squeezed (for the marinade)|
|Garam masala||1 Tablespoon (for the curry powder)|
|Paprika||1 Tablespoon (for the curry powder)|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon (for the curry powder)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon (for the curry powder)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (for the curry powder)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Tablespoon, powdered (for the curry powder)|
|Cumin powder||1 Tablespoon (for the curry powder)|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon (for the curry powder)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (for the rice pilaf)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for the rice pilaf)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste, for the rice pilaf)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (for the rice pilaf)|
|Chicken||2 Pound (for the curry)|
FOR THE PILAF
1. In a medium sized sauce pan heat olive oil and drop in the rice.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fry for 5 minutes until the rice kernels are well coated and heated through.
4. Pour in the water and let it come to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till the water reduces to just about the volume of rice.
6. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
FOR THE CURRY
1. In a bowl pour in the white wine vinegar, lemon juice and add the garlic, ginger, red chili flakes and let it sit for 1 hour.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, put the above ingredients and the onion confit and blend to a paste.
3. In a large mixing bowl, throw in the chicken and the marinade and mix well to coat the pieces generously. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
4. In a bowl, drop the garam masala, paprika, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, coriander, black pepper powder and give it a mix and keep the curry mix ready.
5. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds.
6. Let it splutter and drop the slivered onions.
7. Fry for about 3 minutes until the onions are browned.
8. Add the marinated chicken and give it a stir.
9. Let the chicken cook with the onions for 8 minutes.
10. Put the chicken vindaloo curry powder in the skillet and mix it in.
11. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
12. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
13. Add honey and incorporate it in.
12. Take a bowl and pack in the rice pilaf in it. On a plate, invert the bowl and unmold the rice. Spoon in two ladles full of curry on the rice mound and serve.
Calories 932 Calories from Fat 322
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.3%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152 mg50.7%
Sodium 761.4 mg31.7%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g30.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.7%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 55 g110.8%
Vitamin A 46.9% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 32.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet