Onion-1 medium, minced
Mustard and cumin seeds-1 teaspoons each
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Salt and chilli powder- to taste
Oil for frying
1) Soak channa dal in 2 cups of water overnight.
2) Drain the water next morning and coarsely grid it.
3) Take a wok and heat some oil. Fry coconut.
4) Make a paste of the coconut.
5) Now, heat about 3 tablespoons oil and add cumin, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let the seeds splatter.
6) Then add onion, curry leaves and chillies and cook until it is soft.
7) Cook the dal with turmeric, salt, chilli powder, coconut and 1/2 cup water until it is tender and dry.
8) Channa dal is ready to serve.
9) Garnish it with coriander leaves.