Baby onions-75 grams, peeled
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind juice-2 tablespoons
Coriander leaves-Handful, chopped
Ginger-1-inch piece, minced
Green chilies-4, minced
Grated coconut-1 tablespoon
Salt and chilli powder-to taste
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
1) Soak dal overnight.
2) Take wok and heat oil. Add onions and fry until they change color.
3) In another wok, heat oil and add ginger and chillies. Cook for 2 minutes.
4) Add dal, turmeric and water. Cook until dal is almost cooked.
5) Now, mix the onions, salt, coconut and tamarind to the dal. Continue until dal is done.
6) Take small wok and heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let it splatter. Add asafoetida.
7) Pour it over dal.
8) Sprinkle coriander leaves. Serve.