Puri is a traditional fried, puffed whole wheat bread, served with variety of side dishes. Enjoy this simple recipe.
For the dough
Whole wheat flour
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As needed)
For rolling the dough
2 Teaspoon (As needed)
For frying the puris
2 Cup (32 tbs) (As required for deep frying)
1. Heat oil in a pan and set aside.
2. In a bowl combine together whole wheat flour, salt and the heated oil. Using a spoon mix.
3. Gradually add water a little at a time and knead to form a firm ball of dough.
4. Cover and let rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Take the dough and spread a little oil on the surface of the dough and knead again for about 2 - 3 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into small balls of equal size.
7. Grease the puris lightly with oil and roll into small rounds using a rolling pin. Set them aside.
8. Heat oil in a pan for frying. When the oil is hot enough, deep fry the puris until puffed and golden brown on both sides as shown in the video. Drain onto a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
9. Serve the puris warm with any Indian dish of your choice.
Puri or Indian deep-fried bread is served or had with different side dishes. Watch Madhura showing how to make puri at home using whole wheat flour in intuitive techniques to result in the best puris. Great with curries!
How To Make Puri At Home Recipe Video, Indian Homemade Puri