|To marinate chicken drumsticks|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Red food color||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Chicken drumsticks||1 1⁄2 Pound, skin removed|
|To brush the chicken pieces before baking|
|To grease baking tray|
|Oil||2 Teaspoon (As needed for greasing)|
|For the biryani gravy|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 Medium, pureed|
|Curry leaves||6 Medium|
|Biryani masala||3 Teaspoon|
|To cook the rice|
|Long grain basmati rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Washed and soaked in water for 45 minutes)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Desi ghee||3 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Black peppercorns||3 Medium|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed to avoid chicken burning at the bottom of the pan)|
|Biryani masala||1 Teaspoon (As needed)|
|Fried onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed)|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (A few strands soaked in water)|
1. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients to marinate the chicken. Mix to combine well to form a paste like consistency of the marinade.
2. Add the chicken drumsticks to the marinade and mix well to coat each piece with the marinade.
3. Cover and let marinate for 60 minutes.
4. Wash and soak long grain Basmati rice in water for about 45 minutes. Once done, drain and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Grease a baking tray with oil and place the marinated chicken drumsticks into the greased baking tray. Brush a little oil over the chicken pieces.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, to prepare the biryani gravy, heat a pan on medium-high temperature.
9. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds and onions. Saute until light brown in color.
10. When onions have browned, add ginger garlic paste, coriander powder and red chili powder. Stir and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.
11. After cooking for about 4 minutes, add tomato puree, mix well. Cook until oil start oozing out of the masala (spice mixture).
12. Meanwhile, in a separate pot boil water to cook the rice.
13. Into the boiling water add desi ghee, whole spices (cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and cardamom) and salt. Stir well.
14. Add the soaked and drained rice. Cook until the rice is 80% cooked.
15. Drain the rice and set aside.
16. Into the pan with the masala (spices) cooking, add biryani masala and cook for a minute. Watch Biryani Masala for directions on how to make Biryani Masala at home.
17. Add the baked chicken drumsticks along with the oil left in the baking tray. Cover and cook on very low heat for 10 minutes.
18. After 10 minutes, remove a little of the chicken and keep aside for layering.
19. Add a little water into the pan to avoid the chicken at the bottom of the pan from burning. Layer alternatively with rice and chicken followed by rice again.
20. Sprinkle some biryani masala and fried onions in between layers of rice.
21. Finally pour the saffron soaked water over the top layer of rice.
22. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
23. After 10 minutes, reduce the heat to the lowest temperature and cook for another 20 minutes.
24. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest covered for another 10 minutes before serving.
25. Serve warm with raita of your choice, pickle or freshly cut vegetable salad.