Enjoy another version of Dal Tadka from madhurasrecipe.com prepared using Yellow Dal. We are hoping this will remind you the taste we get in Indian restaurants.
2 Cup (32 tbs), boiled, mashed
1 Medium, chopped finely
1 Tablespoon, chopped finely
For the tempering (tadka)
2 Medium, slit lengthwise
For the garnishing
1 Teaspoon, chopped finely
1. Wash and rinse toor dal in water a couple of times.
2. Soak in water for about 30 minutes.
3. In a pressure cooker, cook the dal until soft and mushy. Set this aside.
4. Heat a saucepan at medium temperature, add the cooked dal, green chili, salt, stir and bring it to a boil.
5. Once it starts boiling, turn off the heat.
6. Add lime juice, coriander leaves and mix well.
7. To prepare the tempering (tadka), heat oil in a separate pan on a high heat.
8. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and chopped garlic. Stir for a couple of minutes until golden in color.
9. Add slit green chilies and turmeric powder. Stir for a minute.
10. Add this tadka to the prepared dal.
11. Serve warm with rice, roti, naan or paratha.
In India it is a practice adopted by some people to stay away from tamasic vegetables like onion and garlic. Check out this recipe by Madhura to make protein rich Indian Dal Tadka without garlic and with healthy Indian herbal seasonings. A great vegan treat!