indian Flat Bread
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Skim milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
1. Coat a medium bowl with cooking spray.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F
3. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and soda, stirring well.
4. Add yogurt, egg and milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and a soft dough forms.
5. Onto a lightly floured surface turn mixture over and knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
6. Place in the cooking spray coated medium bowl turning to grease top.
7. Let it rise with cover in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 3 hours.
8. As the dough will nor double in bulk, Punch dough down, and divide into eight equal portions.
9. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll each portion into a 5- x 3-inch leaf shape, about 1/4-inch thick.
10. Place 2 baking sheets in the preheated oven for 5 minutes until hot.
11. Transfer dough to baking sheets and bake at 450° for 6 minutes until lightly browned.
12. Remove from baking sheets and let it cool on wire racks.
13. Serve the bread for breakfast coating with spread or as desired.
Calories 269 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.8%
Saturated Fat 0.7 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 54 mg18%
Sodium 348.3 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 9 g18.5%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 0.43%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 18.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet