|Bitter gourd||1 Medium, finely sliced|
|Eggplant||1⁄2 Medium, 1-inch cubed|
|Papaya||1⁄2 Small, 1-inch cubed|
|Sweet potato||1 Small, 1-inch cubed|
|Plantain||1 Small, 1-inch cubed|
|Drumsticks||2 Medium, cut into 2-inches sticks|
|Radish||2 Large, 1-inch cubed|
|Panch phoron||1 Teaspoon (mixture of cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, anise seeds, mustard seeds and black cumin seeds)|
|Bay leaf||2 Small|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Mustard paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seed paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ghee||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1) Wash the vegetables and cut as per the direction.
2) In a skillet, add oil to heat.
3) When the oil is sufficiently hot, add the Panch Foron and Bay leaves to sauté for 1 minute.
4) Add the karela and sauté them over medium heat until turning to brown.
5) Add rest of the vegetables and thoroughly stir-fry them for 5-7 minutes.
6) Add the ginger paste and combine thoroughly with the vegetables.
7) Pour in water to cover all the vegetables.
8) Increase heat and bring the water to a boil.
9) Adjust seasoning with salt and sugar.
10) Cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
11) In a bowl, dilute the mustard and poppy seed paste by adding little water.
12) Pour the diluted paste into the skillet and combine thoroughly.
13) Simmer for 2 more minutes while stirring the vegetables.
14) Transfer on a large bowl and add the ghee on top, if using.
15) Serve with warm rice as a starter of authentic Bengali meal.
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.1%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.1 mg3.4%
Sodium 168.2 mg7%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g25.9%
Sugars 14.6 g
Protein 5 g10.9%
Vitamin A 126.5% Vitamin C 110.6%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet