Bihari Sweet Khajas
|Maida||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Flour)|
|Ghee||50 Gram (clarified butter)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||3 Drop (A few)|
|Blanched pistachios/Mawa /khoya /other dry fruits if you like||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), ground|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Rose water/Kewda/saffron or cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for flavoring)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep-frying)|
1. Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Rub ghee into flour till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add lemon juice into 1/4 cup iced water and knead with flour into a stiff dough. Stand for a few hours.
2. To make the filling, combine the ingredients in a bowl. Keep aside.
3. To make the syrup, in a heavy bottomed saucepan, dissolve the sugar in water adding lemon juice. Simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup thick (single thread consistency).
4. Add the flavoring and stir well. Take pan off the heat and keep warm.
5. Divide the dough two equal portions and roll out each into a thin sheet on a flour dusted surface.
6. Cut into 32 strips.
7. Cut each strip into 3-inch x 2 ½-inch pieces
Make a flour paste with 2 tablespoons flour and water.
8. On one piece, spoon a little of the filling.
9. Apply the flour paste around the filling, taking care to leave the edges dry.
10. Place another dough piece on top and press gently around the filling in order to stick the two pieces together. Apply a little flour paste in the centre of the stuffed khaja and stick another piece, then turn it around and stick one piece on top.
11. Repeat with remaining strips and filling.
12. Deep fry in hot oil until golden in colour.
13. Drain on absorbent paper.
14. Drop the hot khajas into the warm sugar syrup.
15. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on a metal rack to allow the excess syrup to drain.
16. Cool and store in airtight container.
17. Serve the sweet khajas warm.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6884 Calories from Fat 4848
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 551 g847.7%
Saturated Fat 95.7 g478.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 134 mg44.7%
Sodium 459.5 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 469 g156.4%
Dietary Fiber 17 g67.9%
Sugars 257.6 g
Protein 45 g90.3%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 12.5%
Calcium 33.3% Iron 89.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet