|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Poppy seeds||2 Teaspoon, roasted (optional)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cashew nuts||1 Tablespoon, broken|
1) In a bowl, mix together flour, ghee and oil or ghee.
2) Slowly pour in the milk and knead to make soft dough.
3) Place the dough in the glass bowl, cover and set aside.
4) In an ovenproof container mix sugar, coconut and milk.
5) Place the container in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes, open the door once and stir.
6) Stir in the poppy seeds and return to microwave for 5 to 8 minutes until the mixture is semi-dry and sugar melts.
7) Remove and stir in the cardamom powder and cashews.
9) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
10) Roll the dough in about 4 to 5 inches rounds, spoon the coconut mixture in center.
11) Brush little water just to moisten the edges of the dough.
12) Fold the dough sheet and press with finger or back of fork to seal.
13) Place the karanji’s under damp muslin cloth.
14) Put the karanji n the oven in batches and bake for 20 to 25 minute or until golden browned on top.
15) Serve as desired with other sweets and snacks.