|Jasmine rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), soaked|
|Mung dal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), roasted in dry skillet and soaked|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||3 Medium|
|Dry chilies||2 Medium|
|Potato||2 Medium, each quartered|
|Cauliflower||1 , divided in medium-sized flowerets|
|Tomato||1 Medium, cubed or pureed|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chilli||3 Medium, slit vertically|
|Garam masala powder||1 Teaspoon|
1) On a dry skillet, roast the mug dal over medium heat for 5 minutes or until light browned.
2) Transfer on a bowl, and add enough water to soak for 30 minutes.
3) Wash and rinse the rice on a colander. Transfer on a large bowl, and soak for 30 minutes by adding sufficient water.
4) Boil the mug daal, in a saucepan or pressure cooker, by adding 2 cups of water. Add more water if required. Remove from heat and cover with a lid, when the daal is just tender.
5) In a large saucepan or pot, add vegetable oil and heat up on medium-high heat.
6) When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaves and dry chilies to sauté until the aroma starts to release.
7) Add the potato cubes and cauliflower flowerets in hot oil to stir-fry on medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
8) Add the tomato, ginger paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Sprinkle few drops of water and fry the spices until well blended.
9) Drain the rice and add into the saucepan.
10) Stir the ingredients for 5 minutes to combine the spices, vegetables and rice.
11) When nicely combined, pour in 3-4 cups of warm water into the rice.
12) Add salt, sugar and green chilies to stir into the mixture.
13) Increase heat to high and bring it to a boil.
14) Reduce heat to medium, cover and allow simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are tender, occasionally stirring. Add water, if required.
15) Add the cooked mug daal to the mixture and combine thoroughly with the cooked rice. Add little more water, if needed.
16) Adjust the seasoning and simmer for another 5 minutes, until all the ingredients are well cooked and mixed up.
17) Remove from heat, add ghee and sprinkle garam masala powder on top.
18) Keep it covered for a while, before serving.