Diwali Ki Karanji
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Sugar||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Almonds||30 Gram, chopped|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a mixing bowl combine the salt, flour and ghee. Rub in well. Gradually add water and knead to form firm dough. Cover with wet cloth and set aside.
2. In a pan, cook the coconut, sugar, milk, chopped almonds and raisins, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds till the milk evaporates.
3. Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes.
4. Place a spoon of stuffing at the centre and fold the pancake in half. Seal the edges by applying a little milk and pressing down hard. Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border and cut off excess dough.
5. After all the karanjis are stuffed, fry them in very hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown, remove onto paper towels and allow to cool.
6. Serve warm or cool. Karanjis can be stored in air-tight containers for as long as 7 days