|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (atta)|
|Refined flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (maida)|
|Potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), boiled and mashed (Batata)|
|Sago||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked for 1 hour (saboodana)|
|Green chilly||1 , finely chopped (hari mirch)|
|Namak||1 Teaspoon (namak)|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon (lal mirch)|
|Asafoetida||1⁄4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Oil/Clarified butter /ghee||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for frying)|
1. To make the dough, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flours (atta and maida) adding salt to taste and 1 tbsp of oil or ghee
2. Rub the oil into the flour with your fingertips to get a sandy texture mixture.
3. Add sufficient water and mix quickly and lightly to form a dough.
4. Knead the dough until it is soft then cover bowl and leave dough to rest for 1/2 an hour.
5. In a small skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil or ghee.
6. When hot but not smoking, fry asafetida, red chili powder, coriander powder for 20 seconds.
7. Add green chili mashed potaotes and soaked and drained sago. Sauté for 2 minutes until water dries up.
8. Take pan off the heat and allow mixture to cool.
9. Divide the dough and shape into small balls.
10. Dust a rolling board with flour and roll out each ball into a small circle of 5 inches.
11. Spoon a tablespoon of the sago mixture in the center of each dough circle, gather and shape into a dumpling, then flatten and roll again into thin, small flatbread.
12. In the meantime, heat fat in a large frying pan.
13. When the fat is hot, drop the puris, 3 or 4 at a time and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until evenly golden brown and crisp.
14. Remove them with a slotted spoon onto several layers of absorbent paper towels and drain well.
15. Continue to fry the remaining puris.
16. Sabudana Puris are best enjoyed when hot. You can accompany them with, yogurt, a sweet relish or spicy mint chutney, made without garlic.
You can use cooked mashed green peas instead of potatoes if you want.
Calories 1337 Calories from Fat 1024
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 116 g178.3%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 495 mg20.6%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.4%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 9 g17.6%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 21.8%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet