Curried Basmati Rice
|Basmati rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beef stock/Canned broth||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (plus 3 tablespoons)|
|Peanut oil/Other vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced (medium clove)|
|Onions||2 Large, finely chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 Medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Fresh coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced (cilantro)|
1) In a large saucepan, place the rice and pour in enough water to cover.
2) Thoroughly wash the rice by rubbing with both the hands for few times.
3) Rinse and drain on a colander. Repeat this procedure for twice and bring back to the saucepan with 2 cups of the beef stock. Place it aside to soak for 1 hour.
4) In a small bowl, make a thin paste by combining the curry powder with 2 tablespoons of the beef stock. Place aside.
5) In a small saucepan, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut oil and heat over high heat until a wisp of white smoke appears, about 1 minute.
6) SautÃ© ginger and garlic for 2 minutes or until the garlic is golden.
7) Add the reserved curry paste and remaining 5 tablespoons beef stock.
8) Lower the heat, place a cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9) Remove from the heat and set aside, covered.
10) In a medium skillet, add remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil and heat over moderate heat until a wisp of white smoke appears, about 1 minute.
11) SautÃ© the onions for 7 minutes or until tender.
12) Increase the heat to moderately high and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
13) Place the onions, the reserved curry mixture and salt to the rice and mix well.
14) Place the rice over high heat and bring it to a boil, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
15) Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the rice is tender but firm.
16) Add diced green and red bell peppers and the coriander into the rice. Combine nicely.
17) Transfer to a bowl and serve hot with your choice of side dish.
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 643.9 mg26.8%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 8.7 g
Protein 11 g22.9%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C 79.4%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet