Alsatian Casserole of Pork Chops Potatoes And Onions
|Pork loin chops||4 (1-inch thick)|
|Potatoes||4 Large, pared, thinly sliced|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), lightly crushed|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) In a large skillet, fry 2 slices of the bacon until it becomes crisp. Crumble the bacon and keep aside.
3) Remove the fat from the pork chops. Add into the skillet and brown them in the bacon drippings.
4) In a Dutch Oven or deep baking dish, layer half the quantity of potatoes. Sprinkle half the amount of onions over the potatoes. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper.
5) Arrange the pork chops over the top in a single layer. Let the chops overlap each other. Sprinkle the remaining potatoes, onions, salt and pepper in layers.
6) Crush the caraway seeds and mix with wine and garlic in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the contents of the baking dish.
7) Sprinkle the remaining bacon on top. Cover the dish with a double-layered foil. Cover the top with a lid.
8) Roast for about 2 1/2 hours or until the meat and potatoes turn tender.
9) If desired, discard the bacon slices on top and skim away excess fat.
10) Sprinkle the casserole with parsley and crumbled bacon.
11) Serve with a bowl of mustard and beer for added flavor.
Calories 524 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 80.8 mg26.9%
Sodium 624.7 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.5%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 32 g63.8%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 120.9%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 21.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet