Braised Lamb with Marjoram Gravy
|Boned lamb shoulder||1 , rolled and tied|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, quartered|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pared potatoes||3 Large, cut into 2-inch cubes|
|Pared carrots||3 , made into thin strips|
|Crumbled marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Anchovy fillets||2 , chopped|
1) In a Dutch Oven, add the meat and brown well on all sides. Add in water, onion, salt, celery seed and pepper. Let the mixture boil. Cook on simmer for 45 minutes.
2) Add in potatoes and carrots. Cook for 30 minutes on simmer. Add in the celery and cook 30 more minutes or until meat turns tender.
3) Remove the lamb to a carving board. Remove the vegetables onto a serving platter. Keep warm.
4) In a 2-cup measure, add the cooking liquid. Skim off the fat rising to the top. Add in water to get 1 cup of liquid.
5) Into the same Dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of fat.
6) Add in the flour and stir continously to mix. When the liquid starts to bubble, add in 1 cup cooking liquid, marjoram and anchovies. Cook while stirring constantly till the gravy bubbles.
7) Carve the meat. Arrange the slices on the platter with the vegetables. Pour the marjoram gravy over the meat.