|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground caraway||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) In a pan, saute the onion in the butter, until softened.
2) Stir in the rice and and lentils, stir continuously and cook for 2 minutes.
3) Pour in 5 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
4) Stir in the salt to taste alongwith all the spices.
5) Cover and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice and lentils are tender, adding more water, if required.
6) Serve the Indian Kitchree, immediately on individual serving plates.