Indian Vegetable Casserole
|Green beans/1 package frozen green beans, thawed||1 Pound|
|Green peas/1 package, frozen green peas, thawed||1 Pound, shelled|
|Carrots||4 , diced|
|Special oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Thinly sliced onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Powdered ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Combine together the beans, peas, carrots and boiling water to cover the vegetables in a bowl.
2) Cover the bowl and allow it to stand for about 10 minutes. Drain.
3) In a casserole, heat the oil and sautÃ© the onions for about 10 minutes.
4) Mix in the cumin, rice and yogurt. Cook the mixture over low heat for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the drained vegetables and continue to gently cook over low heat for 10 more minutes, shaking the pan frequently.
6) Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Mix well.
7) Cover the casserole and cook over low heat for another 15 minutes. Carefully watch the casserole while it is cooking and if required, add a little water.
8) Serve the Indian Vegetable Casserole while it is still hot. Makes a good appetizer and can be served with bread.
Calories 506 Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.6%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g13.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.7 mg1.2%
Sodium 813.1 mg33.9%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g51%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 14 g27.6%
Vitamin A 224.1% Vitamin C 90.6%
Calcium 12.1% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet