Indian Vegetable Casserole
|Green beans/1 package frozen green beans, thawed||1 Pound|
|Green peas/1 package, frozen green peas, thawed||1 Pound, shelled|
|Carrots||4 , diced|
|Special oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Thinly sliced onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Powdered ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Combine together the beans, peas, carrots and boiling water to cover the vegetables in a bowl.
2) Cover the bowl and allow it to stand for about 10 minutes. Drain.
3) In a casserole, heat the oil and sautÃ© the onions for about 10 minutes.
4) Mix in the cumin, rice and yogurt. Cook the mixture over low heat for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the drained vegetables and continue to gently cook over low heat for 10 more minutes, shaking the pan frequently.
6) Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Mix well.
7) Cover the casserole and cook over low heat for another 15 minutes. Carefully watch the casserole while it is cooking and if required, add a little water.
8) Serve the Indian Vegetable Casserole while it is still hot. Makes a good appetizer and can be served with bread.