Palak Pulao (Spinach Rice Pilaf)
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Basmati rice/Long grain rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh baby spinach||6 Ounce|
1. Melt half the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bay leaves. Stir occasionally until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add rice and stir occasionally until rice turns whitish, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add water and ¼ teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot tightly with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
4. While the rice is cooking, melt the remaining half of the butter in another pan over medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander. Stir occasionally until spices being to sizzle and give off an aroma.
5. Add chopped spinach and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir occasionally until spinach cooks down, about 5 minutes.
6. When rice is done cooking, remove from heat and set aside (keep lid on) for about 10 minutes to allow rice to set.
7. Add spinach to rice and mix to combine.