East Indian Rice Salad
|Onion||1 , minced|
|Canola oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Carrot||1 Large, julienned|
|Basmati rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked|
|Swiss chard||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Scallions||3 , julienned|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a large non-stick pan, heat oil and saute the bay leaf and onions for 5 minutes.
2) Mix in the carrots and saute for a further 5 minutes.
3) When the onions have browned and the carrots have become soft, add in the cooked rice, Swiss Chard, raisins, scallions, lemon juice and nutmeg.
4) Cook the mixture for about 2 minutes or until the Swiss Chard softens.
5) Take the pan off the flame. Throw away the bay leaf.
6) Add in the cheese and let it melt into the rice.
7) Let the Rice Salad cool down to room temperature before serving.
8) Garnish the East Indian Rice Salad with finely chopped scallions.
Calories 422 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.3 mg1.1%
Sodium 117 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.4%
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 9 g18.9%
Vitamin A 85.1% Vitamin C 30.7%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet