Chicken with Kashmiri Rice
|Onion||1 Large, minced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Long grain brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Ginger root||1⁄4 Teaspoon, peeled, minced|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Roasting chicken||3 1⁄4 Pound (1 Chicken)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Clean the chicken and remove all visible fat from the chicken
3. Pat the chicken dry and place on a roasting
4. Wash and clean the rice.
5. In a large 3-quart saucepan, sautÃ© the garlic, and the onions till they are soft and translucent.
6. Add the rice to the pan and stir well for three minutes
7. Add the stock to the pan and stir well
8. Bring this mixture to the boil and stir gently. Add the raisins, the lemon rind, the ginger, the cardamom, cinnamon, and the bay leaf to the pan and simmer again for 30 minutes covered. The rice should appear tender but there should still be a little water in the pan. Cover the pan and set aside till required.
9. Place the cleaned chicken in the small roasting pan and then loosely stuff the interior of the chicken with the rice mixture that was prepared.
10. Reserve the leftover rice by placing the chicken in a greased casserole dish. Cover the dish and refrigerate till required.
11. Cover the chicken with foil and then roast at 350°F for 1 hour, basting often with pan juices
12. Just before removing the chicken from the oven, add the casserole rice to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or more till done.
13. Remove the chicken when the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked. Remove the skin just before serving.
14. Serve hot with a fresh salad.