Sweet Rice With Apricot Croquettes
|Rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean/1 teaspoon vanilla extract||1 , split|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||3 , lightly beaten|
|Apricot preserves/Other fruit preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), strained through a sieve|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole eggs||2 , beaten|
|Fresh bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs) (made from 6 slices of firm textured white bread, crusts removed)|
|Peanut oil||2 Quart (for deep frying)|
|Apricot sauce/Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon (for serving)|
1. Preheat the oven to 300°. Place the rice in a medium heatproof saucepan or casserole and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Drain, rinse with warm tap water, drain again and return to the pan.
2. In another medium saucepan, combine the milk, vanilla bean and sugar. Bring to a boil over moderate heat; immediately remove from the heat. Strain the hot milk over the rice; reserve the vanilla bean. Stir in the butter and salt and return to a boil. Cover and place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. The rice will be sticky.
3. Mix the egg yolks into the hot rice. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours or overnight.
4. To make each croquette, scoop out 1 tablespoon of the chilled rice and quickly roll it into a ball between your palms. Use the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick to make a hole through to the center of each ball. Using a small pastry bag with a small plain tip or a cone made from a triangle of parchment, squeeze a dab of apricot preserves into the center of each croquette. Pinch to close and roll the ball back into
5. Place the flour in a shallow dish, the whole beaten eggs in a second dish and the bread crumbs in a third shallow dish. Roll each ball of rice in the flour to coat all over; shake lightly on your fingers to remove any excess. Dip into the beaten eggs, letting the excess drip back into the dish. Roll in the bread crumbs until completely coated. Roll lightly between your palms to remove excess crumbs.
6. Fry the croquettes: Heat 2 1/2 inches of oil in a deep-fat fryer or deep heavy saucepan to 375°. Fry the croquettes in batches without crowding for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
7. Serve hot with Apricot Sauce or dust with confectioners' sugar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3945 Calories from Fat 2120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 239 g368.3%
Saturated Fat 54.4 g272%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1044.4 mg348.1%
Sodium 1179.3 mg49.1%
Total Carbohydrates 401 g133.7%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.7%
Sugars 161.2 g
Protein 57 g114.3%
Vitamin A 61% Vitamin C 84.7%
Calcium 70.5% Iron 73%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet