Calcutta Mulligatawny Soup
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Flaked coconut||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Canned)|
|Apple juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot cooked white rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Roasting chicken||20 Pound, cut up|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Unsifted)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Carrot||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Pared tart apple||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
1) Wash and pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
2) Arrange all the other ingredients.
3) In flour, roll the chicken pieces, coating completely.
4) Reserve the remaining flour, if any.
5) In large kettle or Dutch oven, heat the butter or margarine and saute chicken until well browned on all sides.
6) Remove chicken from kettle, and set aside.
7) To the kettle, add the onion, carrot, celery, apple, and any remaining flour; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
8) Stir in curry powder, salt, mace, pepper, chili powder, coconut, chicken, and 6 cups cold water; mix well.
9) Boil the mixture; lower the heat, cover the kettle and simmer for 2 hours.
10) Keep stirring occasionally.
11) Remove kettle from heat and skim off fat from the surface.
12) Remove skin and bone from chicken.
13) Cut chicken meat into large pieces; keep aside.
14) Through blender pass the soup and return to kettle with chicken.
15) Add apple juice and light cream; reheat the soup.
16) In each of 6-8 bowls, place a heaped spoon of cooked rice and pour soup over.
17) Sprinkle each serving with parsley.